Pgsql (and mysql) benchmark on T2000/Solaris and some profiling

From: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Pgsql (and mysql) benchmark on T2000/Solaris and some profiling
Date: 2006-05-16 09:33:32
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi List,

In the past few weeks we have been developing a read-heavy
mysql-benchmark to have an alternative take at cpu/platform-performance.
Not really to have a look at how fast mysql can be.

This benchmark runs on mysql 4.1.x, 5.0.x and 5.1.x and is modelled
after our website's production database and the load generated on it is
modelled after a simplified version of our visitor behaviour.

Long story short, we think the test is a nice example of the relatively
lightweight, read-heavy webapplications out there and therefore decided
to have a go at postgresql as well.
Of course the queries and indexes have been adjusted to (by our
knowledge) best suit postgresql, while maintaining the same output to
the application/interface layer. While the initial structure only got
postgresql at about half the performance of mysql 4.1.x, the current
version of our postgresql-benchmark has quite similar results to mysql
4.1.x, but both are quite a bit slower than 5.0.x (I think its about
30-40% faster).

Since the results from those benchmarks are not yet public (they will be
put together in a story at our website), I won't go into too much
details about this benchmark.

Currently we're having a look at a Sun T2000 and will be looking at will
be looking at other machines as well in the future. We are running the
sun-release of postgresql 8.1.3 on that T2000 now, but are looking at
compiling the cvs-head version (for its index-root-cache) somewhere this
week.

My guess is there are a few people on this list who are interested in
some dtrace results taken during our benchmarks on that T2000.
Although my knowledge of both Solaris and Dtrace are very limited, I
already took some samples of the system and user calls. I used Jignesh
Shah's scripts for that:
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jkshah?entry=profiling_postgresql_using_dtrace_on

You can find the samples here:
http://achelois.tweakers.net/~acm/pgsql-t2000/syscall.log
http://achelois.tweakers.net/~acm/pgsql-t2000/usrcall.log

And I also did the memcpy-scripts, here:
http://achelois.tweakers.net/~acm/pgsql-t2000/memcpysize.log
http://achelois.tweakers.net/~acm/pgsql-t2000/memcpystack.log
(this last log is 3.5MB)

If anyone is interested in some more dtrace results, let me know (and
tell me what commands to run ;-) ).

Best regards,

Arjen

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Joachim WielandDate: 2006-05-16 09:48:24