Re: Compression and on-disk sorting

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
Date: 2006-05-15 22:37:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> There's an fadvise that tells the OS to compress the data if it actually
> makes it to disk?

Compressed-filesystem extension (like e2compr, and I think either
Fat or NTFS) can do that.

I think the reasons against adding this feature to postgresql are
largely the same as the reasons why compressed filesystems aren't
very popular.

Has anyone tried running postgresql on a compressing file-system?
I'd expect the penalties to outweigh the benefits (or they'd be
more common); but if it gives impressive results, it might add
weight to this feature idea.

Ron M

I think the real reason Oracle and others practically re-wrote
their own VM-system and filesystems is that at the time it was
important for them to run under Windows98; where it was rather
easy to write better filesystems than your customer's OS was
bundled with.