Re: GUI Interface

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUI Interface
Date: 2006-05-12 14:09:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Dave Page wrote:
>> Part of the problem is that pgAdmin III seems to preload
>> object properties instead of pulling them in as you need them.
>> I have noticed many times in pgAdmin III that when a function
>> is edited and saved by someone else on a different
>> workstation I can't see those changes until I manually
>> refresh the object. When you have a ton of tables etc that
>> preloading/caching has to be taking up some time.
>>

> It does, for sure. On the other hand though, if you're connected to your
> database via a slow network (working from home via modem or VPN for
> example), it does mean that every click is instant rather than having to
> wait for a query to execute - this is how pgAdmin I used to work, and
> frustrated too many people which is why it was changed.
>
> There's an up and downside to each design - just choose the tool that
> works in the best way for you at the appropriate price for your wallet.
>
> Regards, Dave

Why not have it be an option as to how it loads table info? I've also
been looking for a decent GUI interface for postgres, but the knowledge
that
pgadmin III will want to load all of my table data every time I use the
app is definitely prohibitive for me as our db here at work is huge.
And, seriously,
are we still living at a time when connection speed should be considered
a deciding design factor? Yes, some people still work off of slow
connections,
but the vast majority of us who work in a professional environment most
definitely do not.

Thanks, Erik