Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers

From: Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
Date: 2006-05-11 21:41:28
Lists: pgsql-ports
Tom Lane wrote:
> Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com> writes:
>> it appears that there's a problem building postgresql with
>> --enable-debug on Solaris with the Sun compilers.
>
> Nobody else has complained of this, so the least you could do is
> identify which Solaris version and exactly which compiler you're
> talking about.

I just tried building on all of these combinations:

Solaris 10:   compilers 6.2 and 11
Solaris 9:    compilers  8, 9, 10, 11
Solaris 8:    compilers  6.2, 9, 11

Postgresql 8.1.3 fails to compile on all of them with --enable-debug

I can run this back to older compilers as well, if needed.

> What are the risks that we break every other
> Solaris version/compiler if we remove those directives?

none that I'm aware of.

It's been a decade since I've done any serious sparc assembler, but my
first thought on seeing this C code was that the .section directives
didn't belong.  Perhaps they might have been needed on SunOS4 systems,
but I don't think it was.

Either way, add an -xO0 with --enable-debug if you really want to keep
the directives, but that's just masking the underlying problem.

-- Alan