Re: in memory views

From: Thomas Vatter <thomas(dot)vatter(at)network-inventory(dot)de>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: in memory views
Date: 2006-05-10 20:54:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 10:41, Thomas Vatter wrote:
>

>>Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>

>>>What happens if you do this by declaring it as a cursor and then
>>>fetching the first row?
>>>

>>I do executeQuery(), for the resultSet I do next() and return one row,
>>but wait, I have to review the logic in this area, I can tell you
>>tomorrow
>>

>A good short test is to run explain analyze on the query from the psql
>command line. If it shows an execution time of significantly less than
>what you get from you application, then it is likely that the real
>problem is that your application is receiving the whole result set via
>libpq and waiting for that. A cursor will solve that problem.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Yes, the difference between psql command line and application is 6
seconds to 40 seconds. It is
exactly the step resultSet = excecuteQuery() that needs 40 seconds. I
use next() as a cursor
through the resultSet, but I fear this is not enough, do I have to use
createStatement(resultSetType,
resultSetConcurrency) respectively prepareStatement (resultSetType,
resultSetConcurrency) to
achieve the cursor behaviour?

regards
tom