Re: Pocket PC

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Antonio Pennino <antonio(dot)pennino(at)e2m(dot)it>
Subject: Re: Pocket PC
Date: 2006-05-10 01:42:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hi Antoine,

I suppose you missed Alvaro's point.

He suggests that you create a data-access server that acts as a proxy so
your PDA can access the database with it's web built in browser.

You already have a computer with a running PostgreSQL.
Now you'd need to configure a web-server (like Apache + PHP or another
script language) that can read and write on the Postgres server.
Depending on your situation all this can sit on the same machine.

To access the database you would start IE on your PDA, enter the url of
the db manipulation page and Apache will do the actual talking to the
database. That way you wouldn't use any aditional stuff on the PDA.
You could work with phpPgAdmin to start with.

Provided your application doesn't demand very complex forms, a
web-frontend is no big deal to program in PHP. Complex forms don't fit
well on a tiny PDA screen anyway.