Re: Slow restoration question

From: Eric Lam <elam(at)lisasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow restoration question
Date: 2006-04-30 23:37:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:

>Eric Lam <elam(at)lisasoft(dot)com> writes:
>

>>what is the quickest way of dumping a DB and restoring it? I have done a
>>

>> "pg_dump -D database | split --line-bytes 1546m part"
>>

>Don't use "-D" if you want fast restore ...
>
> regards, tom lane

thanks, I read that from the doco, the reason why I am using the -D
option is because I was informed by previous people in the company that
they never got a 100% strike rate in database restoration without using
the -D or -d options. If I have enough space on the QA/staging machine
I'll give the no options dump restoration a try.

Anyone have any estimates the time differences between the -D, -d and
[using no option].

regards
Eric Lam