Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Tony Lausin <tonylausin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Date: 2006-04-30 20:40:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Tony Lausin wrote:
>> [ rotfl... ] MySQL will fall over under any heavy concurrent-write
>> scenario. It's conceivable that PG won't do what you need either,
>> but if not I'm afraid you're going to be forced into Oracle or one
>> of the other serious-money DBs.
>>
> That's a scary idea - being forced into Oracle or Sybase. Isn't
> Slashdot.org still running strongly off of MySQL?

Yes Slashdot runs MySQL, however what Tom said was that MySQL will fall
over under any heavy *concurrent-write* scenario. Concurrent-write is
the operative word in that sentence. Slashdot by it's very nature reads
from the database far far more than it writes. The only writes to the
database are things like a new story and user submitted comments, both
of with are small in comparison to the number of reads from the database.

Matt