Re: Lightspeed for frmQuery and other issues.

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Edward Di Geronimo Jr(dot)" <edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lightspeed for frmQuery and other issues.
Date: 2006-04-30 16:44:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Edward Di Geronimo Jr. wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>:
>
>> I still don't see a need for that extended handling, because the ctl
>> always allowed row selections (and column selections can be achieved
>> from SELECT ...., a basic SQL feature... )
>

> Very often in my work, I would not know exactly what columns I need  the
> data from until after I see the results of the query. Someone  would
> walk into my office and say "What's wrong with Joe Smith's  account?"
> I'd run a query to get an overview of the account, and what  columns I
> needed would change depending on what looked to be wrong.  It's a lot
> easier to click on the cell I need and hit copy than to run  another
> query to narrowing things down.
>
>>> Users dont care about virtual controls or not.
>>

>> They do. It's the speed issue, esp. on non-win32.
>

> The implementation I did was 4x faster than the old implementation,
> which apparently had been acceptable for a long time, but also offered
> more features.  There was no tradeoff to that work, unless you had a
> phobia of grids.

Yes I do have a wxGrid phobia. Making the frmEditGrid 80 % solution to
90 % was painful enough, and things tend to not get easier on the last
10 %. If you like fixing it in frmEditGrid, fine.
The main speed issue was on gtk, and my small 1k row testcase did *not*
show improvement. The current solution is ok for 10^n rows, as long as
libpq and the OS can handle it. All previous versions, including yours,
simply stalled.

Regards,
Andreas