Re: [BUGS] Error in Makefile

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nonsolosoft(at)diff(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Error in Makefile
Date: 1999-08-26 14:24:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Ferruccio Zamuner <solo3(at)chierinet(dot)it> sent me the contents of his
tclConfig.sh file, and the problem is pretty obvious: the file has

> # Base command to use for combining object files into a shared library:
> TCL_SHLIB_LD='ld -shared -x -soname $@'

When this is fed through pl/tcl/mkMakefile.tcldefs.sh, the $@ gets
prematurely evaluated and reduced to nothing, leading to the bogus
link command that we already saw.  In short, pltcl is broken on any
FreeBSD system (as well as anything else that uses a -soname like
switch).

As a workaround I suppose Ferruccio can hand-edit
pl/tcl/Makefile.tcldefs to put back the $(at)(dot)

For a real fix, I think we have no alternative but to abandon the way
that mkMakefile.tcldefs.sh does its job --- this horsing around with
"eval eval" is just not going to replicate the quoting/evaluation
behavior you get from executing the script.  I am guessing that what
we should do is source the tclConfig script, then examine the output of
"env".  Does anyone know offhand how tclConfig.sh is normally used for
Tcl builds?

			regards, tom lane

pgsql-bugs by date