Re: configure: error

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: cehu120(at)ih(dot)csic(dot)es
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: configure: error
Date: 2006-04-29 14:19:24
Lists: pgsql-general
cehu120(at)ih(dot)csic(dot)es wrote:
> I am trying to install PostgreSQL v.8.3.1.
> I have unpacked the gz and tar file.
> Next, I have executed the configure file.
> Then, I receive the following message:
>
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
>
> I think I have to get a C compiler and to install it. But, how and where
> can I get it?
> Thank you.
Are you installing on linux, windows or osx?
If you are using linux, you should first check if your distribution
doesn't already include a precompiled postgres version (most major
linux distributions do, altough you might not always get the latest
version).

On windows, you can use the binary installer, which also installes
a precompiled version of postgres.

On OSX there might be premade packages available - or you could use fink
(A port of the debian/linux package manager to osx, just visit fink.sf.net).

If you indeed want to compile postgres yourself, you'll need a
c-compiler, which again should come with your distribution (If not,
I'd change the distribution immediatly ;-) ). You'll also need a few
other packages like "make", and probably a few header files, usually
contained in "-devel" "-dev" packages.

If you want to compile postgres on windows, you'll probably need
VisualC++, on OSX you'll need to install the "Apple Developer Tools",
which include a C-compile.

greetings, Florian Pflug