Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Date: 2006-04-26 14:43:25
Lists: pgsql-performance
 >While in general there may not be that much of a % difference between
the 2 chips,
 >there's a huge gap in Postgres. For whatever reason, Postgres likes
Opterons.
 >Way more than Intel P4-architecture chips.

It isn't only Postgres. I work on a number of other server applications
that also run much faster on Opterons than the published benchmark
figures would suggest they should. They're all compiled with gcc4,
so possibly there's a compiler issue. I don't run Windows on any
of our Opteron boxes so I can't easily compare using the MS compiler.