Patch for BUG #2073: Can't drop sequence when created via SERIAL column

From: Dhanaraj M <Dhanaraj(dot)M(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Patch for BUG #2073: Can't drop sequence when created via SERIAL column
Date: 2006-04-26 08:53:32
Lists: pgsql-patches
Hi

I send the appropriate patch for bug #2073. This fix disallows to change the default sequence.
I ran the regression test and passed. The bug details are given below.
I am awaiting to answer for any further clarifications.

> Bug reference:      2073
> Logged by:          Aaron Dummer
> Email address:      aaron ( at ) dummer ( dot ) info
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.3
> Operating system:   Debian Linux
> Details:
>
> If I create a table named foo with a column named bar, column type SERIAL,
> it auto-generates a sequence named foo_bar_seq.  Now if I manually create a
> new sequence called custom_seq, and change the default value of foo.bar to
> reference the new sequence, I still can't delete the old sequence
> (foo_bar_seq).
>
> In other words, from a user's point of view, the foo table is no longer
> dependent on the foo_bar_seq, yet the system still sees it as dependent.
>
> I brought this topic up on the #postgresql IRC channel and the behavior was
> confirmed by AndrewSN, scampbell_, and mastermind.

Right.  We have this TODO item:

	* %Disallow changing default expression of a SERIAL column?

which would prevent you from changing the default expression for a
SERIAL column.  So the answer is, don't do that, and in the future, we
might prevent it.

--
  Bruce Momjian

pgsql-patches by date

Next:From: Gevik BabakhaniDate: 2006-04-26 14:23:25