Re: Files on their way

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai(at)wxs(dot)nl>, Andreas Grabm├╝ller <webmaster(at)letzplay(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Files on their way
Date: 2003-11-12 19:49:02
Lists: pgsql-www
On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 02:39 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Report back:

Josh, thanks for taking the time to view these on the different
browsers.

> (all of the below are on Linux):
> Konqueror 3.0.3: bad.  There is a broad white space in the center,
> with all
> center elements shoved to the right, as if we have a 2-column table
> and all
> content is in the right column.

There was a problem with the GBorg section on the left causing the
GBorg text to push the center column to the right. Does that look like
what you're seeing? I've fixed it (there was a misplaced </div>, if I
recall correctly.)

> This is probably a CSS bug in Konqueror,
> but bodes poorly for Safari.

Actually, Safari handles it quite well. (Though see notes below.) I
generally design initially using Safari and Mozilla. Am now using Opera
quite a bit more as I see Opera is handling the table quite differently
than Mozilla and Safari. There were large gaps between the columns:
seems like there's an extra half-column between the left sidebar and
the center, the center and right sidebar abut (which is good), and
there's an extra column width after the right sidebar but before the
border.

Got this pretty much fixed. There's still a 3px extra space between the
right sidebar and the black table border, but I'll get to the bottom of
that as well.

> Mozilla 1.0.1:  Good, even when I shrink the browser.  Only problem is
> that
> "grey box" text is too small (it's not too small on Konqueror) -- it
> appears
> about 7pt.

Too small text is a problem. The Latest News and Upcoming Events boxes
(those the ones you mean?) are set to "x-small". I've bumped them up to
small.

> Galeon 1.2.5:  Identical in appearance to Mozilla 1.0.1
>
> Right Side Bar, all browsers:  The link/headers for each item do not
> center
> with the descriptive text; they are about 2 characters to the left.

I'm assuming your speaking of the Websites section. I saw that in Opera
(among others) and fixed it by zeroing out the padding and margin on
the <dl>

> Survery, all browsers:  The survey radio buttons do not line up,
> instead
> forming a zig-zag.

Fixed. They were centered with some left margin/padding. The
padding/margin has been zeroed and left-aligned.

> Will try on later versions of the same browsers, above, later today.

Unless Andreas wants me to send the files again, I'm going to work on
them locally. I should have a host where I can post the files as I work
on them.

Also, unless the Latest News and Upcoming Events are exactly balanced
in terms of text length, you'll notice that one box may have a greater
height than the other. What do people think of this? I'd like to
eliminate it if I can.

Thanks again for the details, especially Konqueror.

MIchael