SOS ---- Could you help me with postgresql.....????

From: alvaro(at)audifarma(dot)com(dot)co
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SOS ---- Could you help me with postgresql.....????
Date: 2004-03-18 21:17:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Few months ago you helped me with a little problem that i had while trying
to make pg_dumpall...

Now I'm gonna ask your help with this really big problem that I have,
here's the thing:

Recently We Update our Postgresql database server by installing Postgresql
7.4.1, we followed the basic installation steps that appear in the install
file, everything was fine till this morning when we realize that the
partition (/var) where we storage the data (/var/lib/pgsql/data) was full,
this partition is 30GB size!!! could you belive it????. When we checkout
the size of the data directory it was 28GB, at the end it was imposible
for us to startup the database normally so we have to remove the
/var/lib/pgsql/data directory, and restore the db from a previous backup
made with (pg_dumpall) and this time the /var/lib/pgsql/data was 8GB size
that is a more accurate size for our database.

Well till now the story goes to good..

BUT I've been the whole morning monitoring (df -v or df -h) the size of
the partition (/var) and is growing up every moment by a rate of 6kb to
8kb at 11:00 am it was 8GB and now 14:00 is 8.9GB (what a hell is going
on????) if things goes like this next week I'm gonna have the same problem
that today ... please help me

Mr Tom lane ask about which are the files that are growing so fast, well I
can't tell you that all the files whose sizes change appear like 170624,
16384 or 1247 and so on ...

I think I made something stupid I increased the max_connections to 150
(/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf), could this be the the source of the
problem???.

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm sorry to bother you but your the only one
"I know" that knows more about Postgresql than I (I'm lost...don't you
think??).

bye

Alvaro Arcila