Re: Permission denied on fsync / Win32 (was right

From: "Peter Brant" <Peter(dot)Brant(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Permission denied on fsync / Win32 (was right
Date: 2006-04-19 17:55:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs
I'm not sure that's the whole story.  "Server #3" had backends with
handles to the old relfilenode.  It didn't have any fsync errors and the
old relfilenode was apparently successfully deleted (or at least it
wasn't visible in the file system anymore).  That's the part of the
morning's investigations that left me kind of nonplussed.

Of half dozen or so cases I've looked at more closely, the error has
always referred to the old relfilenode.  I'll spot check a few more
though.

Pete

>>> Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> 04/19/06 7:21 pm >>>
It seems pretty clear to me that the problem occurs when we try to
fsync the old relfilenode, which is in a pending-delete state but
hasn't been deleted yet because of the presence of open handles in
some backends.