Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: Brant Fitzsimmons <brant(at)bfcomputerconsulting(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-17 16:39:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Relaxin wrote:
>

>>>Except when it doesn't work. It's a completely non-scientific method
>>>of determining answers, and has *enormous* bias due to ignorance.
>>>

>>That has been my question all along...
>>Instead of "beating" people down when they (and others) have a concern,
>>rather it's real or not, you guy have to put real concrete information and
>>solutions out there to counter these misconceptions.
>>
>>My co-workers and I believe that PG is slow.
>>A way of helping this is by providing a solution to configuring the database
>>to work the best for a person setup, or give them some general parameters to
>>look into.
>>
>>The impression of PG being slow will not be solved by statements such as
>>"Some people believe Elvis is still alive."
>>

>Let me tell you what I say at trade show booths when someone asks why
>they should use PostgreSQL rather than MySQL:
>
> "Oh, I think you should use MySQL. It has a nice cute name."
>
>Of course, the questioner gets this strange look on their face, and
>might ask another question, or just leave.

That strange look is them thinking that the person they're talking to is
a jerk. Who in their right mind would think that a person working a
booth for a company would actually want you to use their product and
would be civil enough to provide information on why they should use your
product? The nerve of these people.

If anyone working for me gave a boneheaded response like that I would
fire them on the spot.

>Of course, the question is similar to, "Convince me to date your
>sister." It isn't a very reasonable question.
>
>The bottom line is that we are community project, and we don't have any
>reason to try to convince you to use or software or not. There is no
>direct connection between your using our software and any benefit to us.
>This is unlike MySQL and other commercial companies that have a very
>real motivation to encourage you to use their software.
>
>In fact, it is fact we have no _need_ to sell you on our software that
>helps us provide superior solutions comared to commercially-produced
>software.

Your need, or lack of need, to sell something has no bearing on whether
or not you should show basic courtesy when responding to questions about
a product you represent. Want a better and larger community? Don't be
a tool.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
brant(at)bfcomputerconsulting(dot)com