Re: Indexes slower when used in decending vs. ascending

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alasdair Young <ayoung(at)vigilos(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes slower when used in decending vs. ascending
Date: 2006-04-12 16:43:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Um ... I work for Red Hat, so I think I have to slip you the bad news
> twice today: no sane person would still be running that OS version
> either. 7.2 was obsolete about the time I went to work at Red Hat
> (in 2001).

Sadly, some users are stuck. For instance if you have Dialogic D240SC/T1
Rev 1 cards then the latest drivers you can get are the 5.x and they are
very picky about kernel versions, streams libs, etc.

If you want to build a supported system, you must start with Red Hat
7.2/7.3 and must, among other detailed steps, apply specific kernel
patches. Or you can go through a similar set of steps on Windows. I'll
take Linux - even an old version.

Fortunately I have it on authority of an Intel employee that they will
be open-sourcing the Dialogic drivers sometime in the next year so over
time this problem will probably disappear.

Cheers,
Steve