Proposed doc-patch: Identifying the Current WAL file

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Proposed doc-patch: Identifying the Current WAL file
Date: 2006-04-12 09:02:49
Lists: pgsql-docs
Reading Tom's posting here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-04/msg00499.php

I just realised we don't seem to mention this in the docs anywhere. I
propose adding a short paragraph to 23.3.1
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html#BACKUP-ONLINE-CAVEATS

After "Except in the case of retrying a failure, it will be called only
once for any given file name."

To identify the current, partially-filled WAL segment, sort first by
mtime and second by file name. That is, take the latest mtime among the
properly-named files, breaking ties by taking the higher filename.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

pgsql-docs by date