Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: Christoph Della Valle <christoph(dot)dellavalle(at)goetheanum(dot)ch>
To: me(at)alternize(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-11 05:42:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi all

me(at)alternize(dot)com schrieb:
>>> but i'm a happy customer here - and happy customers
>>> stay put. actually, i'm more than happy. i'm
>>> astounded that something like this exists under a
>>> license like bsd. astounded.
>> That makes two of us. We're getting ready to roll out a Logistics package
>> converted from a comerical DB to PostgreSQL. We love it. Period.
>

> 3... switzerland's largest cinema website moved from sql server to
> postgresql two months ago. lost some comfort (automated backups, jobs
are you sure? we do the backup automatically (cron-job/ windows:
at-job) in this way, you have something like (scheduled) local packages.
> but gained lot of performance, stability... and last but not least,
> budget! ;-)
>
> - thomas
we are still using a mssql-server. we also use a pgsql-server on linux
for 3 small to medium applications, and we are _very_ happy with
postgres (on linux) in terms of performance, stability, and
manageability. in fact, we are planning right now to port one
application from mssql to postgres.

chris