Re: Unicode is not UTF-8

From: Johann Zuschlag <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode is not UTF-8
Date: 2006-04-06 17:57:22
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hiroshi Inoue schrieb:
> b) locale = de_DE.UTF-8
>>   backend-2 = Unicode
>

> What's the result of
>    show server_encoding
Hi Hiroshi,

when I use an unicode database it is UNICODE,
for LATIN1 it's of course LATIN1.
(and for LATIN9 it's LATIN9)

Thank you for your explanations. Now I'm understanding what is happening
with a windows client on one end and PostgreSQL on the other end.

I am just experimenting with the three above settings (initdb with
ISO8859-15, locale ISO8859-15 only). So far it seems to work pretty
well. No problems with an application using psqlodbc driver. All German
characters including euro (LATIN9, UNICODE) seem to work. Sorting is ok.
pgAdminIII is producing the same output. psql works as well, except psql
in conjunction with unicode behaves still a little bit strange. Maybe my
locale setting is not appropriate, but de_DE.UTF-8 doesn't change it.
Will check my console later.

Unfortunately I couldn't test 7.03.262 (psqlodbc35W.dll) since the zip
file has some kind of error.

Regards,
Johann