Query grid

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Query grid
Date: 2006-04-03 13:21:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
After several weeks I succeeded in reconnecting my win32 machine and
have a look at pgadmin stuff again. I fired up the query tool and my
first impression was "can we have this a little less ugly please?" when
I saw those grey spaces. Is the tool expected to display up to 10G of rows?

I remember the comment how fast this should have become, so I tried
"SELECT * from pg_attribute" on a small db. I had 3614 rows in
600+1400ms on a pre-grid version (ancient 700MHz Athlon), and 720 rows
in 600+47000ms on the grid version, with 2894 rows dropped!!!! I killed
another attempt after 5 minutes.

IIRC, Edward mentioned he used the original wxGridTable implementation
because it worked good for him, and consequently I didn't find any
SetTable() call. As I mentioned earlier and , an inevitable requirement
is the usage of virtual row/col management, to improve performance on
larger resultsets. The new ctlSqlGrid fails to implement it, and thus
fails even on result sets that can't really be called big.

This implementation is clearly a bad regression. Please revert ASAP and
come back with a non-grid version (virtual listbox or listview), I still
fail to see any advantage of wxGrid for this usage.

Regards,
Andreas

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2006-04-03 13:42:53