Re: Implementation Suggestions

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Ian Harding <iharding(at)destinydata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Implementation Suggestions
Date: 2006-03-29 19:45:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Ian Harding wrote:
> works fine, but you have to do it "The Rails Way" and expect no help
> from the "Community" because they are a fanboi cheerleader squad, not
> interested in silly stuff like referential integrity, functions,
> triggers, etc. All that nonsense belongs in the application!

You exaggerate. There's nothing that says you need to only
use ActiveRecord's out-of-the-box configuration with rails apps.

All of our models directly use their postgresql library which
is just a wrapper around libpq; and from there you can use whatever
postgresql specific tricks you'd like (postgis types was the main
reason we used that instead of ActiveRecord).

> Check this out, there is no stale connection detection or handling in
> rails. I'm not kidding. If you connection drops out, restart your
> web server. Sorry. Blah.

Which is a reasonable default. If you want to catch the
exception and re-set the connection, you surely can do so.

We prefer to catch the exception and make the machine take
itself out of the load-balancing pool so we can diagnose
the problem rather than trying to automatically do (whatever
it is you expected it to do).

We're drifting way off topic so I'll stop here. I'd be happy
to discuss further via email or on the rails lists.