Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb

From: Ruben Rubio Rey <ruben(at)rentalia(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb
Date: 2006-03-29 06:58:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
Greg Quinn wrote:

> The query is,
>
> select * from users
>
> which returns 4 varchar fields, there is no where clause
>
> Yes, I am running the default postgres config. Basically I have been a
> MySQL user and thought I would like to check out PostGreSql. So I did
> a quick performance test. The performance was so different that I
> thought PostGreSQL was nothing compared to MySQL, but now it seems its
> just a few configuration options. Strange how the defult config would
> be so slow...

My english is poor but im gonna try to explain it:

Default configuration in postgres its not for good performance, its just
design to make it working in any computer. Thats why u have to try to
custom default config file.

Anyway, people says that mysql is faster (and lighter) than postgres (at
least with mysql 3.x vs postgres 7.4), but postgres is more advanced and
its much harder to get data corrupted.

But there is something that you should known about postgres. Postgres
creates statistics of usage, and when you "vacumm", it optimizes each
table depending of usage.

So:
 - You should custom config file.
 - You should vacumm it, as someone recomended before.
 - Do u have any indexes? Remove it. To get all rows you do not need it

Note that I just have use it under Linux, i have no idea about how
should it work on Windows.