Re: BUG #2327: Startup script for FC4 with selinux

From: Tom Hollins <tom(dot)hollins(at)sherwin(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2327: Startup script for FC4 with selinux
Date: 2006-03-20 15:35:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs
I hope I'm not overstepping here, and not sure if I'm allowed to reply,
but here goes:
It looks like there are two approaches to this:
1) Unify the init scripts so they work all the time everywhere.
2) Generate the scripts as needed per distribution and risk being out of
date.

Option 1 seems like more work for overworked Open Source developers so I
wouldn't choose that.

Option 2 seems more logical since they are in the contrib directory, it
is assumed they could be out of date. I approach contrib as a "This is a
good starting point but I may have to modify what is here."  If it can
be kept up to date, that's fine, but shouldn't be a priority. Besides,
if someone (business) really needs this, then they can pay your support
staff for on the spot fixes and installation knowledge.

IMHO
Tom Hollins
-T-