Building psql.exe using the free Borland compiler

From: Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl(dot)pgsql-interfaces(at)telemetry(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Building psql.exe using the free Borland compiler
Date: 2006-03-17 19:06:48
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Has anybody succeeded in building psql from 8.1.3 using bcc55? I've got
everything going OK up to the final link stage at which point I get

ilink32.exe @MAKE0000.@@@
Turbo Incremental Link 5.00 Copyright (c) 1997, 2000 Borland
Error: Unresolved external '_pclose' referenced from
C:\USR\SRC\POSTGRES\POSTGRESQL-8.1.3\SRC\BIN\PSQL\RELEASE\EXEC.OBJ

with a similar error for _popen. I'm using a source tree which has compiled OK
under Linux to save the hassle of making sure I have a working perl/flex on the
Windows system, have made sure that it's using pg_config.h.win32, and can see
blibpq.dll being rebuilt. I've got an ilink32.cfg file containing
-L"c:\usr\local\Bcc55\lib" where this directory contains cw32mti.lib etc.

Apologies if this is a really dumb question. I don't /do/ C/C++ on Windows, I'm
much more a bare-metal guy who does Delphi and Perl when he needs high-level.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk