Re: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access (WCCA) on

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tony Caduto" <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access (WCCA) on
Date: 2006-03-13 23:50:44
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

>>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 3:16 pm, in message
<4415E12D(dot)70104(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>, Tony Caduto
<tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Overall, PostgreSQL
>> has been faster than the commercial product from which we converted.

> Are you allowed to say what commercial product you converted from?

The license for the commercial product contains a clause which
prohibits disclosing benchmarks of their product without their written
permission. (Heaven only knows why they would include such a clause.)
My comment is not based on any formal benchmarks, but on the graphs
produced by our monitoring of the production software under real loads,
and on the query metrics from our middle tier software in the production
environment. Even though it would be a huge stretch to call the
comparison a benchmark under these conditions, this is a litigious
society. I'm sure you understand my concern.

Short of being compelled by law to open our records, I'm not
comfortable providing any performance comparison which names the
vendor.

-Kevin