Re: Function to convert numeric string to number in version

From: Christoph Della Valle <christoph(dot)dellavalle(at)goetheanum(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function to convert numeric string to number in version
Date: 2006-03-10 06:51:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi david

David Gaudine schrieb:
> Is there a function that will convert a numeric string to a number,
> returning zero if the string is empty?
>
> Here is the problem I'm trying to solve; I have a column of type
> VARCHAR(4) that usually, but not always, contains a number between 0 and
> 100, possibly with a decimal point. I have to do two things;
if the value is not a number, what is it then? Can it be anything, or
do you have a set of values? if so, couldn't you replace all
non-numeric values by a numeric code (maybe in the range between 100 and
200) with an additional table holding the alphanumeric representation of
the codes. would be nice to have one data type in one column ;-)

christoph