Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Date: 2006-03-08 07:35:10
Lists: pgsql-patches

> I agree with this to some extent.
>
> The main use case, aside from database link objects, is really for
> generally large applications such as a large ERP system. Most ERP
> systems have a general or foundation-like schema where common objects
> lie and each module is separated using schemas.

absolutely - just like jonah stated before; it is not about 100 lines
PHP code.
recently PostgreSQL was more and more adopted for "enterprise
applications" (whatever this might be).

> As an example, you would have HR, AP, AR, GL, FA, COMMON, ... schemas
> which encapsulate the functionality of their respective modules whether
> it be procedures, functions, views, tables, etc. For each module to be
> able to access, for example, the HR.EMPLOYEE table, they generally refer
> to just EMPLOYEE which is a synonym to HR.EMPLOYEE.
>
> Now, one may argue that it's incorrect/bad application-design to not use
> fully qualified names, however, there are cases (especially in VERY
> large database applications) where you do not want to use fully
> qualified naming. In PostgreSQL, the alternative to synonyms is to have
> a monstrous search path $user, public, HR, AP, AR, GL, FA, COMMON...
> Not that we have Oracle Applications running on PostgreSQL, but 11i has
> something like 130+? schemas which would be pretty nasty and
> semi-unprofessional as a search_path rather than as something defined
> similar to synonyms. Another consideration is poor application design
> which uses the same named table in one schema which acts differently
> than the same named table in another schema... synonyms resolve this
> issue which could be problematic if not impossible to solve using
> search_path alone.

nothing to add - this is how things work in reality ...

hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde & Schönig GmbH
Schöngrabern 134; A-2020 Hollabrunn