Re: Query results in grid, new patch

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Edward Di Geronimo Jr(dot)" <edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query results in grid, new patch
Date: 2006-03-07 00:05:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> On 6/3/06 19:04, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> wrote:
>>> Dave Page wrote:
>>> NOT a todo. I found the result something between annoying and useless
>>> when I implemented column sizing preserving, esp. in case of many
>>> columns.
>>> I still didn't have the time to have a look at the patch, and I will be
>>> very unhappy if I find the result a regression because its functions are
>>> extended in a direction the control never was intended and designed for.

>> If you find any breakages then do report them and I will look at them,
>> but
>> please do not forget that pgAdmin is not designed entirely for your usage
>> patterns - just because you don't copy'n'paste query results doesn't mean
>> there aren't a thousand people that do (or will do).

> We have discussed this previously. Trying to extend the query tool to a
> multi purpose data manipulating tool is a dead end. Finally, don't
> forget: My initial impulse to code on pga3 was dissatisfaction with
> pga2's query tool, so I'm most sensitive on that topic.

Well, but that is what it is used for (as a "multi purpose data manipulation tool").
In the company I work for, nearly all kinds of postgres maintenance is done
using pgadmin - from creating databases and schema manipulation, to debugging when
some customers believes that some piece of data is wrong. So, I'd say, at least for us
the query-window is the most important piece of pgadmin.

And, most interesting, it's not big features that people miss in their daily work, it's
the small useability things (like copying a over-long value of a textfield into an editor
to be able to read it properly).

greetings, Florian Pflug