Re: Patch to remove/report orphaned files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to remove/report orphaned files
Date: 2001-05-25 05:37:56
Lists: pgsql-patches

> This patch removes old sort files on postmaster startup, and reports
> orphaned database directory files during database vacuum.

I like the first part, but not the second. To name just one problem,
it will go berserk after OID wraparound. The "minimum startup OID"
approach would be ugly even if it weren't fundamentally broken.
That O(N^2) search will get a tad tedious with a lot of tables, too.

I really don't think we have a problem that needs fixing in this area;
surely not a problem bad enough to justify a band-aid as ugly as this.