geckofixes.css harmful on linux

From: Tuukka Tolvanen <tuukka(dot)tolvanen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: geckofixes.css harmful on linux
Date: 2006-02-28 00:41:55
Lists: pgsql-www

Hello,

http://www.postgresql.org//layout/css/blue/geckofixes.css included from
http://www.postgresql.org/layout/js/geckostyle.js included from e.g.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype.html , says

/* Gecko is broken with pre,tt,code sizes */

and then proceeds to break pre,tt,code sizes for me on Gecko (firefox,
linux). That is, the fixed width text in documentation is
disproportionately large unless the rules specified in that file are
dropped (the editcss extension is practical for testing fwiw).

Konqueror calls itself "like Gecko" in its useragent so it's also hurt
by geckofixes.css. Also, safari calls itself "like Gecko" iirc, but I
don't have one to test with.

I tested on win98 and had someone test on winxp that geckofixes.css does
appear to do the right thing on windows. I suggest sniffing for windows
OS in geckostyle.js so that geckofixes.css is only applied to gecko on
windows, where it's needed.

't.