Re: Pl/Python -- current maintainer?

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: James Robinson <jlrobins(at)socialserve(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Hackers Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pl/Python -- current maintainer?
Date: 2006-02-25 09:09:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
James Robinson schrieb:
> I see neilc has hacked on it very recently to reduce memory leaks. I
> take that as both good and bad signs.
>
> We're a [ small ] python shop, and would be most interested in being
> able to simplify our life through doing some things in plpython  instead
> of pl/pgsql where appropriate. Keeping our constants and so  forth in
> the appropriate python module would make things ever so much  simpler
> here and there at the very least.
>
> But we've never hacked on the backend, nor at the C python API level.
> But I see no reason why not to start now -- lurked here for many a
> year. For example, I see that plpython functions cannot be declared  to
> return void. That can't be too tough to remedy. Implementing the  DBI
> 2.0 API interface to SPI can wait another day.

Also have a look at: http://python.projects.postgresql.org/
it needs some more love too but has high potential.
Maybe it can become next generation pl/pythonu? Would be nice.
And with even more love the restricted python from zope could
be ported so there could be a pl/python again :-)

Ok, just haluzinating ;)

Tino