Re: Reliability recommendations

From: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliability recommendations
Date: 2006-02-24 15:04:53
Lists: pgsql-performance
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dell often says part X is included, but part X is not the exact same as
> part X sold by the original manufacturer.  To hit a specific price
> point, Dell is willing to strip thing out of commodity hardware, and
> often does so even when performance suffers.  For many people, this is
> unacceptable.

I find this strains credibility, that this major manufacturer of PC's would do something deceptive that hurts performance, when it would be easily detected and widely reported.  Can anyone cite a specific instances where this has happened?  Such as, "I bought Dell model XYZ, which was advertised to have these parts and these specs, but in fact had these other parts and here are the actual specs."

Dell seems to take quite a beating in this forum, and I don't recall seeing any other manufacturer blasted this way.  Is it that they are deceptive, or simply that their "servers" are designed to be office servers, not database servers?

There's nothing wrong with Dell designing their servers for a different market than ours; they need to go for the profits, and that may not include us.  But it's not fair for us to claim Dell is being deceptive unless we have concrete evidence.

Craig