Re: Version details for psql/postmaster

From: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
To: Shabala Deshpande <de(dot)shabala(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version details for psql/postmaster
Date: 2009-02-26 14:20:44
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Feb 26, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Shabala Deshpande wrote:

> I have postgres 8.3.4 installed on my test m/c.. I know that psql is
> a commandline client support for postgres. When I do psql --version
> i have
>
> psql --version
> psql (PostgreSQL) 8.3.4
> contains support for command-line editing
>

> and when i do postmaster/postgres version which i know that is a
> server for postgres it gives me:
>
> postgres --version
> postgres (PostgreSQL) 7.2.7
>
> so my question is whether the Postgres 8.3.4 is the version for
> client or server??
> is the internal version for server the same as above or it also
> should be 8.3.4??

psql --version always gives the version for psql (the client).
postgres --version is the server. If the above is correct you have a
very old server version and should consider upgrading it. In general,
newer clients will work with older servers (and vice-versa) but you
could run into various problems.

Note you can check the server version from the client (psql) using the
command "SELECT version();"

John DeSoi, Ph.D.