Re: how test postgresql.conf settings?

From: Arnau <arnaulist(at)andromeiberica(dot)com>
To: Chandra Sekhar Surapaneni <chandu(at)positivenetworks(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how test postgresql.conf settings?
Date: 2006-02-22 09:03:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Sorry for answering so late, but I didn't notice your answer...

Chandra Sekhar Surapaneni wrote:
> If you HUP the database or reload the database the changes will take
> effect. Only in a very few cases you will have to restart the database.
> Can you give us more information regarding what changes you made to the
> postgresql.conf?

I was tweaking the Resource usage part shared_buffers, work_mem, ...
The problem is I was restarting the database with:
/etc/init.d/postgresql restart

The problem is that the result I was getting after the restart were much
better than if I reboot the machine. So I don't know why of that big
difference, if due to postgresql or due the kernel cache or where...

--
Arnau