Re: windows / initdb oddness

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: windows / initdb oddness
Date: 2006-02-21 17:31:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>This took me hours to find ...
>>
>>On my Windows box, CVS HEAD gets an execution failure on "initdb foo"
>>but succeeds happily with "initdb -D foo".
>>
>>This is not true for REL8_1_STABLE, nor is it true for all
>>Windows machines/environments, apparently, otherwise we would
>>be seeing failures from the buildfarm member snake, since the
>>buildfarm script does "initdb data".
>>
>>My suspicion is that this is some side effect of the
>>restricted-exec patch, but I don't have time to dig further right now.
>>

>Um, so what error msg do you get when it's failing?

I get a popup box that says:

initdb.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Clicking a link gives this info:

AppName: initdb.exe AppVer: 8.2.0.6051 ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 00033830

It wouldn't let me copy the rest of the info ;-(

cheers

andrew