Re: problems to install PostgreSQL

From: Seneca Cunningham <scunning(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: Paolo De Simone <pdesimone(at)infocall(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems to install PostgreSQL
Date: 2006-02-21 14:53:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
Paolo De Simone wrote:
> i'm trying to install postgresql 8.1.3
> on AIX 5.2 RISC 6000
>
> the steps
> - ./configure
> - gmake
> - gmake install
>
> are OK

You may want to add a "gmake check" between the build and install.  It
runs some tests on the build and would have let you know that you had
problems before you installed the binaries.

> so i created /usr/local/pgsql/data
> but when ran
> - initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> had the following result :

[...initdb segfaults...]

> I have repeated the installation steps for
> 8.1.0, 8.1.1, 8.1.2 versions
> but I obtained the same result

Have you tried any of the methods described in the AIX FAQ
(<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_AIX.html>)?  There's a section
concerning postgres segfaults with postgres 8.1 and how to stop them at
the end of it, "AIX, readline, and postgres 8.1.x".  My preferred method
is the newer Makefile, but disabling readline is easier.

--
Seneca Cunningham
scunning(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info