windows / initdb oddness

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: windows / initdb oddness
Date: 2006-02-21 13:36:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This took me hours to find ...

On my Windows box, CVS HEAD gets an execution failure on "initdb foo"
but succeeds happily with "initdb -D foo".

This is not true for REL8_1_STABLE, nor is it true for all Windows
machines/environments, apparently, otherwise we would be seeing failures
from the buildfarm member snake, since the buildfarm script does "initdb
data".

My suspicion is that this is some side effect of the restricted-exec
patch, but I don't have time to dig further right now.

cheers

andrew