Re: detecting serials in 8.1

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Subject: Re: detecting serials in 8.1
Date: 2006-02-20 18:24:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Andreas Pflug wrote:

> It's _always_ fine, because GetSchema obeys the search path and the
> reengineered SQL is meant to be used in a search path situation as it
> was at the time of reengineering. There are plenty of other situations
> where the reduced form (omitting search-pathed schema) won't work.

Let me back up and make clear what I'm saying.  The code I originally
submitted is not correct.  The code you committed is not correct either.
  To correctly determine what the default value for a serial will look
like, you need to know what the search_path was at table creation time.
  Knowing its current value is not relevent.

Run the following in psql.

SET search_path TO public;
CREATE schema s1;
CREATE TABLE s1.t1(a serial);
SET search_path TO s1;
CREATE TABLE s1.t2(a serial);
\d t1
\d t2

Note how one default includes the schema and the other doesn't.  Explain
how pgadmin can correctly determine the default value for both of these

Kris Jurka