Query question, subselects and referencing out?

From: Jan Danielsson <jan(dot)danielsson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Query question, subselects and referencing out?
Date: 2006-02-16 08:44:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello all,

I have written a small firewall, and sshd, logging system which uses
postgresql for storing the logs.

The table that stores the firewall logs has, among other columns,
from_ip, port and a timestamp.

I want a query which lists:
from_ip | port 22 entries | total entries | last_access

I have managed to put this together:

select from_ip, count(from_ip) as entries, max(ts)::timestamp(0) as
last_access from log where to_port=22 and direction='in' group by from_ip

So the only thing I'm missing is the total number of log entries, but
that's where I'm stuck. My instinct is to try to use subqueries:

select from_ip, count(from_ip) as entries, count(select * from log where
...) as tot_entries, max(ts)::timestamp(0) as last_access from log where
to_port=22 and direction='in' group by from_ip

..but how do I match the from_ip in the inner select with the outer one?

Thankful for any hints or tips.

--
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson