Re: Finding the pqlib version

From: Christoph Zwerschke <cito(at)online(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Finding the pqlib version
Date: 2006-02-11 16:03:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> You want the server version. In PostgreSQL 8.0 and later you can use
> libpq's PQserverVersion(), but for pre-8.0, I think you have to do
> SELECT version(), and parse that:

I'd prefer something defined in the Postgres include files that can be
checked by the precompiler already. In Python, the version information
with major, minor and micro is defined in patchlevel.h and can be used
for conditional compilation. It would be nice if something like this
existed also for Postgres. I noticed pg_config.h has PG_VERSION, but it
is the compound version of major, minor and micro including the dots
which cannot be easily compared.

-- Christoph