Re: Actual expression of a constraint

From: Kris Deugau <kdeugau(at)vianet(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Actual expression of a constraint
Date: 2006-02-08 15:52:22
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-hackers
lrotger wrote:
> I read some of the logs up until 7.3 (from my old 7.2.1); I should
> benefit from upgrading but there are issues to consider, for example, I
> see 'timestamp' was changed from with to without time zone in 7.3, I'll
> have to follow these changes carefully to upgrade without problems.

Tom's major recommendation is to move up to the latest 7.2 release -
which, while currently unsupported, contains a number of BIG bugfixes
relating to data integrity.  (IIRC the version number is 7.2.5).  You
should be able to install packages or build from source and install in
place without any changes to your code.  Getting a dump of your data
beforehand is always a good idea Just In Case, but it shouldn't be
necessary most of the time.

Jumping between "major" versions (eg, 7.2->7.3) is where there are
changes to data types and the back-end storage;  for a major version
change the usual recommendation is to dump and reload.

Check back through the list archives;  this general recommendation ("For
PG version x.x.n, always run the latest point-release (n) for any given
major version (x.x)") has been posted quite a few times over this past
year alone.

-kgd