Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for Linux/Unix

From: August Zajonc <augustz(at)augustz(dot)com>
To: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for Linux/Unix
Date: 2006-02-05 21:49:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you know, many databases that run on Linux / Unix systems have a GUI
> installer which make installation easier and more attractive for some
> people.
>
> Our Windows Installer is very attractive, for example.
>
> Now, I and Burcu Guzel, who is a Senior Programmer, decided to launch a
> new project: pgnixinstaller :
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgnixinstaller/
>
> We are actively looking for developers for the project. Please drop me
> an e-mail if you want to join this project. We will use Python, so you
> need to be a Python guy to join the project. We are in planning phase,
> if you join us earlier, we will be able to share more ideas.
>
> Regards,

Thanks to Devrim for the RPM stuff.

On Windows, we expect the installer, no question about that.

On Linux, virtually everyone including many beginners become familiar
with their package management system, be it yum or apt etc. Many of the
readme's, how-to's etc tie into it. The package management tools are
packaged with every distro. There is no environment to setup. Whether
you are using a headless box or a gnome desktop, there is usually an
interface into them.

The beginner just tries yum install xxx. I think folks would be
surprised that for many folks this is basically IT for them in terms of
package installation. Compiling from source, while theoretically
sometimes as easy, doesn't happen nearly as often.

And if you work with a client, the packaging system is what they know as
well. Please, can't you set it up so everything comes from an RPM?

I'm one of those people now.

I used to compile everything from source, from apache, through php and
my database. Had custom build scripts, and the whole works. But I threw
it away and use RPM wherever I can.

When I see postgresql packaged as an RPM, I'm pretty sure the file paths
have been modified to work with my system (they are) and the startup and
shutdown scripts tie in nicely (they do). Especially when I just want to
play with something, I want the simplest approach possible. And the
approach the most folks are familiar with is their package management
system.

So, what's the point of this rambling? Props to Devrim (and others) for
hand-holding us beginners (or lazy ones) with his existing packaging
work. It is tremendously appreciated and lowers the barrier to entry
more then they release.

And I wonder if an effort to take advantage of these existing
infrastructures that everyone (including in my mind beginners) are
familiar with, might yield good results.

- For example, packaging the pgadmin adminpack as an rpm/deb and more of
the pgfoundry items would do this.

- Or a postgresql repository for apt/yum etc, making
upgrading/installing even easier?

If this new installer plays nice with existing packaging systems, and
has the rules in place to custom compile lots of options, it seems close
to providing something in this area already out of necessity.

Perhaps a win-win for both areas with a bit of extension (ie, the
installer is backed by a repo that other users can use with other tools?)

- August