Re: Multiple logical databases

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multiple logical databases
Date: 2006-02-03 07:16:46
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Mark Woodward schrieb:
> Unless you can tell me how to insert live data and indexes to a cluster
> without having to reload the data and recreate the indexes, then I hardly
> think I am "misinformed." The ad hominem attack wasn't nessisary.

I see you had a usecase for something like pg_diff and pg_patch ;)
> If no one sees a way to manage multiple physical database clusters as one
> logical cluster as something worth doing, then so be it. I have a
> practical example of a valid reason how this would make PostgreSQL easier
> to work with. Yes there are work arounds. Yes it is not currently
> unworkable.

I dont see your problem, really ;)

1) if you have very big and very workloaded databases, you often have
them on different physically boxes anyway
2) you can run any number of postmasters on the same box - just put
   them to listen on different ip:port.

Now to the management - you say cddb and geodb are managed off host.
So they are not managed on the life server and so you dont need to
switch your psql console to them.

And yeah, its really not a problem, to quit psql and connect
to a different server anyway :-)

If you dont like to type -p otherport, you can either create
aliases with all the arguments or use something like pgadmin3
which enables you to easy switch from database to database,
from host to host as you like.

Now is there any usecase I have missed which you still would
like to have addressed?

Kind regards
Tino Wildenhain