Re: Multiple logical databases

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple logical databases
Date: 2006-02-02 23:12:25
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Mark Woodward wrote:

> My issue is this, (and this is NOT a slam on PostgreSQL), I have a number
> of physical databases on one machine on ports 5432, 5433, 5434. All
> running the same version and in fact, installation of PostgreSQL.
>
> Even though they run on the same machine, run the same version of the
> software, and are used by the same applications, they have NO
> interoperability. For now, lets just accept that they need to be on
> separate physical clusters because some need to be able to started and
> stopped while others need to remain running, there are other reasons, but
> one reason will suffice for the discussion.

Hmmm - do you really need to start and stop them? or are you just doing
that to forbid user access whilst doing data loads etc?

If so, then you might get more buy-in by requesting enhancements that
work with the design of Pg a little more (or I hope they do anyway....) e.g:

1/ Enable/disable (temporarily) user access to individual databases via
a simple admin command (tho 'ALTER DATABASE xxx CONNECTION LIMIT 0' will
suffice if you do loads with a superuser role).

2/ Restrict certain users to certain databases via simple admin commands
(editing pg_hba.conf is not always convenient or possible).

3/ Make cross db relation references a little more transparent (e.g
maybe introduce SYNONYM for this).

Other related possibilities come to mind, like being able to segment the
  buffer cache on a database level (e.g: bigdb gets 90% of the shared
buffers.... not 100%, as I want to keep smalldb's tables cached always....).

Cheers

Mark