Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for
Date: 2006-01-31 11:46:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Figuring out the correct values for some of the buffers and costs
> is still a bit tough. Otoh, I guess there is no easy way to predict
> all these.

pgAdmin has a mechanism to suggest values (currently for autovacuum and
listen_address only), which waits for expansion :-) I could think of a
wizard that asks decent questions, resulting in proposals.

Whether implemented as GUI or not, a questionaire and suggested
algorithms to calculate settings (eyeballed from Core) would be a good
starting point.

Regards,
Andreas