Re: pg_dump - txt sql vs binary

From: Ciprian Hodorogea <ciprian(dot)hodorogea(at)bitsp(dot)com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump - txt sql vs binary
Date: 2006-01-23 16:49:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

Command I have used:
pg_dump.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -F p -v -f "C:\test.sql"
bicms_server

This will put in the output SQL file postgres functions also (not only
those defined by me), for example:

CREATE FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler() RETURNS language_handler
AS '$libdir/plpgsql', 'plpgsql_call_handler'
LANGUAGE c;

CREATE TYPE tablefunc_crosstab_2 AS (
row_name text,
category_1 text,
category_2 text
);

CREATE FUNCTION connectby(text, text, text, text, integer, text) RETURNS
SETOF record
AS '$libdir/tablefunc', 'connectby_text'
LANGUAGE c STABLE STRICT;

ALTER FUNCTION public.connectby(text, text, text, text, integer, text)
OWNER TO postgres;

...and many others.

Anyway, my question would be: if I have postgres 8.1.x installed on
computer A and the same version of postgres installed on computer B,
which would be your recommended way of backing up data on computer A and
put it on computer B?

Regards, Ciprian