Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Benjamin Arai <barai(at)cs(dot)ucr(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?
Date: 2006-01-18 18:24:17
Lists: pgsql-performance
> Obviously, I have done this to improve write performance for the update
> each week.  My question is if I install a 3ware or similar card to
> replace my current software RAID 1 configuration, am I going to see a
> very large improvement?  If so, what would be a ball park figure?

Well that entirely depends on what level...

1. I would suggest LSI 150-6 not 3ware

Because 3ware does not make a midrange card that has a battery backed
cache :). That is the only reason. 3ware makes good stuff.

So anyway... LSI150-6 with Battery Backed cache option. Put 6 drives
on it with a RAID 10 array, turn on write cache and you should have
a hauling drive.

Joshua D. Drake

> *Benjamin Arai*
> barai(at)cs(dot)ucr(dot)edu <mailto:barai(at)cs(dot)ucr(dot)edu>
> <>

Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG -