Followup on benchmarks, results

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Followup on benchmarks, results
Date: 2006-01-17 23:17:44
Lists: sfpug
I just tested the 4-disk RAID-10 for data and 2-disk RAID-1 for
OS/transaction log.  I'm really surprised by the speed increase but
perhaps it caters to the type of test pgbench performs?  These are
transactions per second excluding connection overhead:

c=1	c=2	c=5	c=10
304.2	393.8	360.4	319.1

That represents between a 37-60% improvement over using 2 separate
2-disk RAID-1 arrays (one for data, one for log).  I know this isn't all
that interesting to those who play with big scale hardware and drive
arrays but I think 4 or 6 disks in a box a pretty common setup for us
little guys.  Here are my full results:

<http://www.ghidinelli.com/workspace/postgres/postgres_20060116.html>

After just a little testing, it becomes quickly obvious that you could
spend years doing this. :)

Cheers,

Brian

sfpug by date

Next:From: Quinn WeaverDate: 2006-01-21 22:28:56