Followup on benchmarks, results

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Followup on benchmarks, results
Date: 2006-01-17 23:17:44
Lists: sfpug

I just tested the 4-disk RAID-10 for data and 2-disk RAID-1 for
OS/transaction log. I'm really surprised by the speed increase but
perhaps it caters to the type of test pgbench performs? These are
transactions per second excluding connection overhead:

c=1 c=2 c=5 c=10
304.2 393.8 360.4 319.1

That represents between a 37-60% improvement over using 2 separate
2-disk RAID-1 arrays (one for data, one for log). I know this isn't all
that interesting to those who play with big scale hardware and drive
arrays but I think 4 or 6 disks in a box a pretty common setup for us
little guys. Here are my full results:

<http://www.ghidinelli.com/workspace/postgres/postgres_20060116.html>

After just a little testing, it becomes quickly obvious that you could
spend years doing this. :)

Cheers,

Brian